Kevin Partridge, Fire Chief
413 Bay Road
South Easton, MA 02375
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2018
Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Easton Fire Department Extinguishes Grill Fire Outside Home
EASTON — Chief Kevin Partridge reports that the Easton Fire Department extinguished a grill fire outside of a home Tuesday night.
At approximately 6 p.m., firefighters responded to 9 King Arthur Road for a report of an active grill fire.
When firefighters arrived, they found a propane grill in the back of the home that was on fire. The flames had spread to nearby plastic trash bins and the exterior of the home. The fire was quickly knocked down and extinguished by Group 3 led by Captain Michael Greene.
The initial investigation indicates that there may have been an issue with the valve on the propane tank, which caused a leak. The homeowner told fire investigators that he had purchased a new propane tank today and had turned the grill on to heat it up before going back inside.
Gas leaking from the tank caught fire and the flames quickly began to spread. A neighbor heard the sound of flames and alerted the homeowner who called 911.
Four residents of the home escaped to safety. No injuries were reported in the incident.
The fire caused an estimated $5,000 in damage.
Chief Partridge would like to remind residents of the following grilling safety tips:
- Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors.
- Place grills at least 10 feet away from any structure, deck railings and out from under eaves of overhanging branches.
- Grills should only be used on first floor porches, decks, or patios if there is an outdoor stairway to the ground, or the porch is at ground level.
- Keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from the grilling area. Children should never play near grills or propane cylinders.
- Never leave a burning grill unattended.
Gas Grill Safety
- Make sure the lid of a gas grill is open when you light it. Propane can build up inside and when ignited, the lid may blow off.
- Check that all connections are tight before turning on the gas.
- Clean the grease trap every time you grill.
- Check the propane tank hose for potential leaks by applying a light soap and water solution to the hose using a brush or spray bottle. See if any bubbles appear around the hose. If no bubbles appear, the grill is safe to use.
- If you smell gas while cooking, turn the grill off and move away from it. Call 911 from a safe location. Do not move the grill.
- Store propane cylinders upright in an outdoor, shaded area. Cylinders should not be used, stored or transported where they can be exposed to high temperatures.
Charcoal Grill Safety
- Use only charcoal starter fluid. Never used gasoline or kerosene to start a fire in a grill and never add lighter fluid to burning briquettes or hot coals.
- Always use charcoal grills in a well-ventilated area. Charcoal briquettes emit carbon monoxide, which can be deadly.
- Properly dispose of grill ashes. Allow the coals to burn out completely and then cool for 48 hours before disposal. If you must dispose of ashes before they are completely cooled, thoroughly soak them in water before putting them in a metal container.